Pesticide collection program expands in Ontario
By Marg Land
September 1, 2009, Guelph, Ont. – A well-established obsolete pesticide
collection program is being expanded this year to also provide farmers
with safe disposal for unused animal health products and sharps.
September 1, 2009, Guelph, Ont. – A well-established obsolete pesticide collection program is being expanded this year to also provide farmers with safe disposal for unused animal health products and sharps.
This first-of-its-kind program is taking place October 20 to 22 as part of an Ontario government-supported Great Lakes Basin water quality initiative that offers farmers a way to recycle these items.
As part of this project, farmers will be able to bring their obsolete agricultural pesticides, unused animal health products and used sharps (needles, syringes and scalpel blades) to a series of 16 collection sites across the province for safe and environmentally responsible disposal. The service is free of charge for farmers.
Agricultural pesticide products should have a PCP number on the container, although in cases where the label is no longer present or it is unknown which particular pesticide was in the container, the product should be labeled “pesticide unknown” when it is brought to a collection site. Acceptable animal health products should have a label that contains a Drug Identification Number (DIN).
The program is available to all farmers as long as the products brought in for collection meet the above-noted requirements. Product is collected on a first come, first serve basis until the secure collection totes are full. If you know in advance that you will have a large volume of product to bring in, please call AGCare at 519-837-1326 so that we can make appropriate arrangements for additional collection boxes.
Collection sites will not accept pesticides and animal health products in aerosol containers, medicated feed, premise disinfectants, or any household or human use items. Loose sharps will not be accepted – they must be brought in a closed container. Ziploc bags are not acceptable.
The program will run at the following locations during their respective business hours:
- Ailsa Craig: Hensall District Co-operative, 116 Main Street
- Arnprior: M&R Feeds and Farm Supply Ltd., 70 Decosta Street
- Bethany: Thompsons Limited, 9 Elevator Road
- Brodhagen: Hoegy’s Farm Supply Ltd., 6777 Perth Line 44
- Courtland: Cargill, 159 Talbot Street
- Dundalk: Huron Bay Co-operative, 35 Dundalk Street
- Harriston: North Wellington Co-operative Services Inc., 56 Margaret Street South
- Kitchener: GROWMARK Inc. – Distribution Centre, 1 Chandaria Place, Unit 7
- Lancaster: Munro’s Agromart Ltd., 6011 Hwy #34
- Napanee: O’Neill’s Farm Supply, 1 Dairy Avenue
- Jordan Station: Vineland Growers Co-operative Ltd., 4150 Jordan Road
- Thornloe: Co-op Regionale – Temiskaming Ag Centre, 964027 Development Road, New Liskeard
- Orangeville: Holmes Agro Ltd., 473088 County Road 11
- Thunder Bay: Thunder Bay Co-op Farm Supply, 560 Boundary Drive
- Tilbury: Cargill, 23404 Wheatley Road
- Vienna: Max Underhill’s Farm Supply Ltd., 56532 Calton Line
Designated volunteers will be available at each site during the collection period to receive product and answer questions. In advance of the collection days, please contact AGCare at 519-837-1326, email email@example.com or visit www.agcare.org.