CanAgPlus looking for board of director nominations
June 28, 2013 By Press release
CanAgPlus relies on volunteer leaders to guide decision making and oversee management of CanadaGAP. Participation on the board of directors affords volunteer leaders the opportunity for personal growth and satisfaction in moving the program forward and improving food safety in the fresh produce industry.
CanAgPlus directors are elected by members (i.e., those who are enrolled in the CanadaGAP program) at the annual general meeting, which will take place on November 18th, 2013 in Ottawa, Ont. See http://www.canadagap.ca/events/annual-general-meeting/ for further information.
There are eight directors on the CanAgPlus board, constituted as follows:
- Four directors who must be approved by the Canadian Horticultural Council (CHC). Approval by CHC may occur before or after the CanAgPlus AGM. Regardless, all directors must be elected by members of CanAgPlus at its AGM.
- Two directors who must be approved by the Canadian Produce Marketing Association (CPMA). Approval by CPMA may occur before or after the CanAgPlus AGM. Regardless, all directors must be elected by members of CanAgPlus at its AGM.
- Two directors who must be elected by members of CanAgPlus at its AGM.
The list of nominees will be prepared in advance of the AGM for circulation to members, and presented for vote on November 18, 2013. In accordance with provisions in the corporate by-law, and subject to applicable rules of order during meetings of members, nominations may also be made by ordinary resolution at the AGM.
Candidates are expected to have a strong interest in the delivery, integrity and objectives of the CanadaGAP program. Criteria for service on the board of directors include:
- Exhibit ability to communicate interpersonally, provide facilitative leadership, and enforce group discipline on board processes.
- Strong understanding and experience with the appropriate roles, group processes and corporate bylaws and policies that form systems of corporate governance.
- Demonstrated judgment and integrity in an oversight role.
Consideration will be given to volunteers with experience serving on a not-for-profit board or governance committee or senior level experience working with other boards. Experience and skills in the following areas will be considered assets:
- Good working knowledge of CanadaGAP – its functioning, evolution, etc.
- Familiarity with administrative and management processes, rather than technical knowledge.
- Personnel management experience
- Financial management experience
- Knowledge of international food safety context.
Directors need NOT be CanadaGAP program participants.
Directors will serve a two-year term. The board meets twice a year in person, and holds conference calls as needed.
Those interested in serving on the board of directors must complete and submit the application form by August 23, 2013. Self-nominations are acceptable.
Please click here for the application form: CanAgPlus Directors Application Form
The General Operating By-law No. 1 is available for download from the CanadaGAP website under “Members only.” If you are not a member of CanAgPlus, but interested in serving on the board, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-226-4880 Ext 206 to obtain a copy of the by-law.
Print this page