September 28, 2022 By Fruit & Vegetable
Totam Seeds, a seed company belonging to the Mitsui Group, is presenting its new tomato varietal assortment, tailored to the latest market trends.
Specific attention has been focused on the development of cultivars resistant to Tomato Brown Rugose Fruit Virus (ToBRFV), a disease first described in 2015 and now present in many countries in Europe and the Americas, which can irreparably damage whole crops.
Specifically, there are three new ToBRFV IR-resistant varieties:
- FH201, a bright red cherry tomato with very vigorous plants, attractive clusters, and high yield potential;
- GH601, a beef tomato with bright, intense red fruit; and
- TRS101, TRS102, a tomato rootstock with resistance to ToBRFV.
“Our company, being grower-founded, has always worked closely with the grower world. So for the new 2023 tomato variety range, we have responded to the demands of the people who grow tomatoes on a daily basis,” comments Pieter Vermeulen, Product Development Manager of Totam Seeds.
“Amongst the various factors, we have focused strongly on resistance, including Cladosporium, oidium, and IR ToBRFV viruses, and on plants’ hardiness, to offer varieties able to grow and deliver high yields even in the toughest conditions”
The new Totam Seeds range, now available for order, also comprises several cultivars specifically designed to meet the modern consumer’s needs.
The featured varieties include:
- Cocktail varieties:
- CH3110: a cocktail tomato with a long cluster of 35 to 40 grams and richly flavoured fruit. The plant is hardy with high yield potential.
- CH3220: a cocktail tomato with a cluster weight of 45 to 50 grams, richly flavoured fruit, high yield and resistance to all the main diseases.
- Cherry tomato varieties:
- FH 2085: a cherry tomato with glossy fruit of 18 grams each, also suitable for loose picking. The plant is very strong and the fruit are crispy with an excellent flavour. Its broad set of resistances includes TSWV and On.
- FH2027: a round cherry tomato, 15 grams, with a sweet, aromatic flavour. The plant is very strong and resistant to TSWV.
- FH2102: a cluster cherry tomato with glossy fruit and a high Brix level and very high taste. The average fruit size is 12 grams and yield is high.
- Coloured tomato varieties:
- SH 9074: an orange mini plum variety with a strong, aromatic flavour. Its yield and resistance are high, making it ideal for cultivation in various environments and for multiple crop cycles, suitable for loose and truss harvest.
- SH9133: an oval cherry tomato with a bright, lemon-yellow colour. The strong plant adapts well to various environments and crop cycles. Good for truss harvest as well as loose harvest for medley packages.
- Assorted varieties:
- GH 5185: a beef tomato of 220 to 250 grams, with high yield potential, firm, intense red fruit and a long storage life.
- SH 9164: a mini plum tomato with glossy fruit, a very aromatic flavour and distinctive green areas. The plants combine high yield potential with an impressive set of resistances, suitable for truss harvest.
- MH4188: a medium cluster variety of 100 to 120 grams, with red, glossy, firm, globe-shaped fruit, balanced plant habit and open canopy. Compact and suitable for short- and long-cycle lit and unlit crop. Interesting variety for growers who would like to have variety with oidium and TSWV resistance.
- MH4194: a medium cluster variety with larger fruits than MH4188. Canopy is half open, fruits are slightly ribbed with thick green parts, in a flat cluster. Also has a resistance package for TSWV and oidium.
The range is completed with:
- TS100: a very strong and generative tomato rootstock, giving early production, competitive yield, brix and fruit weight; and
- TRS 101 and TRS 102: tomato rootstocks with ToBRFV IR resistance, available soon.
Print this page
- PIC: Understanding in-field variation to boost yields
- U of G researchers look to balance smart farming with food security