October 6, 2017 By McCain Foods Canada
October 6, 2017 – The Grand Falls and Florenceville-Bristol, NB, growers banquets were held in August 2017 to recognized the top grower partners of McCain.
Les Fermes LP Thériault & Fils of Drummond was named the 2016-2017 McCain Champion Potato Grower for Grand Falls during the 43rd annual McCain Growers’ Banquet held August 22 at Centre E.& P. Sénéchal. Lakeside Farms of Greenfield was named the 2016-2017 McCain Champion Potato Grower for Florenceville-Bristol, NB, during the 44th Annual McCain Growers’ Banquet held August 23 at the Northern Carleton Civic Centre.
Allison McCain, chairman of McCain Foods Limited, Shai Altman, president of McCain Foods Canada, and Christine Wentworth, VP of agriculture NA extended personal congratulations to Lakeside Farms, and Les Fermes LP Thériault & Fils as well as all of the McCain growers.
McCain expressed the importance of New Brunswick agriculture and the need to continuously be innovative in farming practices.
“Early adoption of farm practice innovations is essential to ensuring New Brunswick growers and McCain can compete in global markets,” she said.
Wentworth thanked the growers for their “loyalty, dedication and contribution to McCain over the last 60 years” and wished them a safe and bountiful harvest, while Altman reiterated that the company’s partnership with the growers is critical for the business.
“McCain is a proud Canadian company,” he said, “and you all have a part to play in that. We look forward to a bright future ahead.”
Marc Thériault of Les Fermes LP Thériault & Fils of Drummond was thrilled to be announced as the Champion Grower. The Thériault family has been contracting with McCain for 44 years, has been in the Top 10 17 times, and this was their second time winning the Champion Grower title.
“It’s a great feeling and makes me feel appreciated for all the hard work that I’ve given,” said Marc. “It takes dedication, hard work, employees that care and, of course, some good luck too.”
Arthur Tweedie – with sons Peter, Paul and grandson Matthew – of Lakeside Farms was surprised and delighted to be announced as the Champion Grower. The Tweedie family is only one of two grower families that have been providing potatoes to McCain since the company started 60 years ago, in 1957. They have been in the Top Ten eight times and this is their second time claiming the Champion title. When asked what it took to achieve the first place standing, Peter said “following advice from McCain agronomists and talking to other growers about best practices was really helpful, but a lot of it was just good luck and help from Mother Nature.”
Other growers who qualified for the top 10 Florenceville-Bristol roster, in order of final standing were:
- Kilpatrick Farms (Brian Kilpatrick with son, Jared – Greenfield)
- Valley Farms Ltd. Florenceville (Under management of Jeff Miller and Colton Rennie)
- G and C Culberson Inc. (Cory Culberson with father, Gerald – Jacksonville)
- B and C Young Farms Ltd. (Blair Young with son, Chad – Bedell)
- Herb Culberson Farms Ltd. (Herb Culberson – Jacksonville)
- Double B Farms Ltd. (Dana Bubar with son, Aaron – Hartland)
- Meduxnekeag Farms Ltd. (Daniel Metherell – Jackson Falls)
- R H McLean Farms Inc. (Randy McLean with son, Jason – Maplehurst)
- Wilmot Farms (Kevin Taylor – Lakeville)
The other growers who qualified for the top 10 Grand Falls roster, in order of final standing were:
- Ed & Dan Levesque (Edmund & Daniel Levesque with sons Eric and Denis – Saint-André)
- Northwest Potato Farms (Michel & Lise Levesque and son Marc – Saint-André)
- Desjardins Farms (Denis and René Desjardins – Drummond)
- Eagle Farms (Gilles Godbout and his son, Mathieu – Saint-André)
- Ferme GIL Roberge (Guildor Roberge and his son Luc – Saint-André)
- Super Farms Potatoes (Jean-Guy, Jules, Luc & Andre Levesque – Saint-André)
- Les Fermes Poitras (Rock Poitras and his son, Luc – Saint-André)
- Andre Daigle Farms (Andre Daigle and his son Mathieu – St-Leonard)
- Les Fermes Mario Levesque (Mario and André Levesque – Saint-André)
Print this page