August 24, 2021 By Fruit and Vegetable
Koch Agronomic Services (Koch) recently announced that SYNTHOS, a plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) product, is now available in Canada. A liquid formulation that is phosphate-soluble, Synthos is a highly effective nutrient enhancer used to increase yield on a wide variety of crops, including cucurbits, leafy vegetables, berries and Brassicas.
“On the operational side, Synthos is easy to apply and has a two-year shelf life. In the field, Synthos helps with plant uptake, enhances root mass development and improves nutrient-use efficiency (NUE) through phosphate solubilization,” says Rigas Karamanos, senior agronomist for Koch in Canada, in a press release.
Synthos contains live micro-organisms that help improve soil fertility when applied to plant surfaces, seeds, roots or soil. The substance colonizes the rhizosphere or the interior of the plants, stimulating plant growth by increasing the availability of plant nutrients.
As a PGPR product, Synthos increases NUE by improving soil health. Growth-stimulating bacteria have beneficial effects, including nitrogen fixation, solubility of phosphorus fertilizer, mineralization and decomposition of crop residue. By making nutrients useful for plants, Synthos:
- Improves plant adaptability and promotes plant growth;
- Helps to convert phosphate-based fertilizer into readily available forms for improved plant uptake;
- Contributes to increased yields, especially when applied in phosphorus-deficient soils;
- Enhances root mass development when applied with dry fertilizer.
Synthos can save growers both time and money in the field with a range of benefits, including:
- Easy application and flexibility, formulated to impregnate bulk dry fertilizer, or applied banded;
- A mineral oil-based formula that allows Synthos to suppress dust during storage, handling and application;
- An extended window of application, with the ability to be stored for up to two years before microbial viability is compromised. It is also viable on fertilizer up to 18 months, depending on storage conditions.
To learn more about Synthos, visit SynthosBiological.ca or contact your Koch sales representative.
Print this page