By Fruit & Vegetable
By Fruit & Vegetable
ADAMA Canada has updated some of their crop protection products to be more environmentally sustainable, with the improved formulations resulting in reduced negative environmental and health risks.
In response to agricultural industry requests for crop protection solutions that meet environmental challenges, Adama Canada has launched ZIVATA, a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide with an improved, plant-based solvent.
“This isn’t us rolling out a new product and saying, ‘Look at how great our product is,’” said Brian Sithoo, Adama Canada regulatory manager. “Zivata is something producers have been asking for. We’ve heard them and we’re delivering a safer, more sustainable and reliable product.”
Adama’s chemists designed Zivata to be safer to use and more environmentally sustainable. Zivata’s active ingredient is lambda-cyhalothrin, which is effective on a wide range of pests and pest stages.
Currently, Zivata is registered for crops including canola, pulses, corn, soybean and a variety of fruits and vegetables. Adama is producing the product at its plant in Georgia (USA), which means Zivata will be widely available across Canada in 2022.
Zivata offers three main formulation improvements that reduce environmental impact, including:
- Plant-based versus petroleum distillate: Adama now uses a sustainable, plant-based solvent versus the non-renewable petroleum based solvents used in most insecticides.
- Safety built in: Zivata has a higher flashpoint, which makes it safer to store and handle.
- Improved formulation: Zivata’s formulation includes a proprietary, sustainable solvent and adjuvant.
Here are three ways that Zivata improves stewardship and sustainability:
- Reduced Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): VOCs are known to negatively affect people, the environment and air quality. Zivata’s formulation makes it less toxic to the environment and improves both the user experience and flexibility of use around odour-sensitive areas.
- Managing active ingredient per acre guidelines: Zivata’s active ingredient is more efficient and effective with a low registered rate for effective results.
- Sustainable sourcing: Using a plant-based, renewable solvent versus a petroleum-based, non renewable solvent.
Zivata has been approved and labeled for use on a wide variety of crops, including soybeans, canola, wheat and fruit crops. ADAMA reminds its customers to always read and follow label directions.
To learn more about Zivata, please visit ADAMA.com or contact your local crop input retailer.